| Barware Bala Region, 1
Barware Bala is a beautiful region in the north of Iraq. It is situated south of the Turkish borders (Hakaree), north of the Sapna region, east of the Khabour River and west of the great Zap River.
History confirms that the border of the Assyrian empire extended to Armenia, but as time passed on, other nations and groups of people along with rebels started settling in that area. This caused the population to increase, which changed the geographic feature of that part of the land (north of Iraq).
There are a total of 77 villages in Barware Bala, 35 of the villages belong to Assyrian people. The village of Ainnony (Anoneh) is the biggest in the Barware Bala. This village is where the first school in that region was built in the year 1931.
Dooreh or "Darrie" (the ancient name) is another one of the villages of Barware Bala. It is located15 km South of the Turkish Border, north of the Besh’meyayeh village, west of the Hal’waa village and just east of Ainnony.
In world war one (1914 - 1918) the people of Dooreh village left to Hakaree region, they joined the men from Tyareh for the war against the Turks which resulted in migration to some parts of the Iranian lands. After seven years, they returned to Dooreh. Most of them died on the battlefield of the war against turkey and others died on the way back due to hunger, thirst, lack of medicine, diseases, etc. Only 97 of the villagers returned safely.
In 1978, Saddam Hussein and his Baath Regime burned down the village and deported its people. This was followed by a separation of the villagers, causing them to flee to the cities within Iraq and or different countries worldwide. At this present moment, most of the people of Doreh live outside of Iraq in countries such as the United States, Australia, Canada, and other European countries.
In 1991 some of the villagers returned to Dooreh and began rebuilding the village. At this time there are more than 40 families living in the village during the summer months, which temporarily stay in other cities during the winter months.
There are 4 churches in the village of Dooreh, which were built in the 9th century. They are as follows:
- Mar Giwarges
- Mar Qayoma
- Mar Pious
- St. Mary the Virgin
- Mar Gewargis had 2 floors, which was used as a castle to defend Dooreh from intruders. It had a very small door with stairs inside going to the roof. There was a pathway between the walls with small windows used to see the intruders. It was designed to be simple for the defenders to move between sides of the church from the inside and the outside wall for defense tactics.
- Mar Qayoma was build inside a cave and it is very defensive. Most of the babies in Dooreh and other neighbouring villages were baptized in this church. It also contains tombs of the bishops who were buried inside the Church.
- Mar Pious and St. Mary, there is nothing left of these two Churches, only their site visibility is known.
Dooreh was the base of Nineveh's bishops 6 bishops.
Written on February 11th, 2006 by Mr. Ashmial Goriyal Yako, Sweden
| Barware Bala, 2
This area located between two rivers at north of Iraq. Khabour River in the west and Zap River in the east. It contains (75) villages. Two groups of people, Assyrians and Kurds are the current inhabitants of the region. Many years ago, they were living together in the same area; they also helped each other in fighting against enemies.
The enemies were responsible for the major aggression and atrocities in the Barware Bala and Sapna region. The people of the village suffered from murder and theft. Innocent people were looted and then murdered. As an example, many years ago, the sheep of Doore were stolen by Kurdish gunmen multiple times.
Below are some of the 35 villages belonging to the Assyrians:
- Eyatee ( http://www.assyrianeyatee.de/)
- Dooreh <<http://www.assyriandooreh.com)>>
- Anetnoneh (Ainnony) <<http://www.ainnony.com>>
- Totha Shemaya
- Chalek 1
- Chalek 2
- Cha'qala 1
- Cha'qala 2
The Iraqi Government destroyed all the villages in the Barware Bala region. There was no life in the area for 14 years. Only in 1991 is when some people started to return to their villages, some villages are still empty, as their inhabitants did not return.
|Barware Bala, 3|